View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
GIMP and Abiword are definitely available for BSD, both are open source and use the GTK+ toolkit on X11.
  • ATI/AMD is good in the open source community, they contribute GPU documentation and paid developers to work on a open source driver for Xorg, which works on BSD and Linux.
  • ATI/AMD releases a proprietary driver (..catalyst/fglrx) for Windows and Linux, but not for BSD.
  • nVidia has a proprietary driver for Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD (..which obviously includes PC-BSD, which is a distribution).
  • nVidia has no open source inclinations, they release no documentation, and recommend their proprietary driver or the unaccelerated VESA on non-supported OS's.

Those of us using OpenBSD/NetBSD have no proprietary graphics drivers, and speaking for myself I wouldn't use them if they existed.. proprietary code in kernel space is a recipe for disaster.

Insulting people because you're unable to do your own research won't get you anywhere.. asking for a list of compatible hardware is flawed, a computer is made up of a lot of different components.. it is up to you to find a system with those components, people can only give you their preferences.
Once upon a time (not so long ago or faraway!) thre were two ways to answer a post. First way was to ignore the post, and so silence was the answer. Second way was to actually try to actually answer the actual question. Lately a new way has arisen (probably invented by a politician or some other lowlife Master of Sophist Gobbledegook) to 'answer' a post by not answering it over and over (think Dickens reincarnated as a spin doctor). I call these 'non-answers', and define it as answering all the questions I never asked, usually in some detail, while completly ignoring the one question I actually did ask. Prior to posting I make some effort to word my question to make it as specific and easy to understand as possible. When a responder reads this question, decides that this is not the question I really wanted to ask, but he knows exactly what I meant to ask, so he then reworks and rewords my question to his whim, and proceeds to answer this fantasy question...which always has little if any resemblance to my actual post...yes Bucky, this irritates me! Usually I'll count to ten, and ignore this answer. But if he slips in a little barb ("Why are you bothering us?") with this non-answer, expect a sarcastic quip in return. If you cannot take it, don't dish it out. And by the way, I noticed your 'insultodetector' managed to zero in on my barb, yet remained oblivious to his. Playing one-sided referee "won't get you anywhere".

"asking for list of compatible hardware is flawed"

When the day comes that PC-BSD (or any other BSD) can claim to run on almost any brand/model number of any component, as XP Pro does, then your statement holds up. Until then, I'll assume you're joking. I know for certain not all brands/model numbers of graphic cards will work on PC-BSD. Some work excellent, some sorta work, others don't work at all. I suspect the same holds true for sound cards, NICs, and who knows what other components! As one doing custom-build and supplying most of the components, I need to know which specific brands and model numbers of motherboards/chipsets, CPUs, graphic cards, etc. are known to work excellent, so I can avoid them that only sorta work, and the crap that don't work at all. So far as I see, the only way to insure this is some sort of list. This has absolutely nothing to do with people's personal "preferences". It about what works, what kinda/sorta works, and what won't work at all!

"you're unable to do your own research"

I learned to research using the book "Google and Other Search Engines". After couple years of practice, I've about 75% success rate. I found all needed hardware info for XP Pro in an hour. Found all needed info on BEOS, Haiku, eComStation (and other OS I've passed on) within day to three weeks.
I sarted research in late December, and still no progress on PC-BSD. That is totally ridiculous.