View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008
Coffee Addict

Right now, all I have is my laptop. It's a PowerPro J 10:15 from PowerNotebooks.com which is built on a Compal IFL90 barebones laptop. Currently, it is running FreeBSD 7-STABLE (i386).

Mostly everything works fine on it and given the fact that I took a shot in the dark in buying this notebook, I am rather pleased. It was a good price and I didn't have to buy an OS with it. I did have to pull the HDD, though, because they left the jumper in limiting the drive to 1.5 GB/s. No big deal, though...it only took a minute to fix that . I also had to enable AHCI the BIOS. Without it, the ICH8M does not get detected and the HDD will run at UDMA33 .

Things that don't work:
  • memory card reader (not detected, tried MemoryStick Pro with no luck)
  • fingerprint reader (TouchStrip Fingerprint Sensor) (detected as ugen)
  • built-in camera (Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd. USB 2.0 Camera) (detected as ugen, FreeBSD needs a USB video class driver for this to work)

Hardware Notes:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (2.4 GHz)
RAM: 2 GB dual channel DDR2 /667 (1 GB x 2)
HDD: 160 GB Seagate Momentus @ 7200 rpm (SATA II 3.0 GB/s)
Video: NVidia GeForce 8600M GT w/ 512 MB video memory; widescreen (1440x900) glossy LCD (x11/nvidia-driver)
LAN: Broadcom 5787 Gigabit (bge driver FreeBSD 6.3+)
WLAN: Intel 3945abg (wpi driver FreeBSD 7.0+)
Audio: Realtek ALC268 HD audio codec (snd_hda or audio/oss) - built-in speakers are not bad, but they don't turn off when I plug headphones in. The audio/oss drivers do provide a way to disable the built-in speakers; ossxmix has a checkbox to turn off speakers. I am using snd_hda right now since OSS has been causing lockups with Wine.
ACPI: battery level detected, could not get S3 to work.