View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2011
Package Pilot

Default Renegotiate a DHCP lease (RENEW)

Is it just me? Here is a something that is suppose to fall off the BSD apple tree like dust in the wind. I never ask single question before I do many hours - days of searching, researching and testing. I read a lot of interesting things that BSD can do and I gather all the commands that I can find that claim to work, but the minute I go to try them, they don't work or they stop working since the last update, TODAY.

I'm simply trying to re-new the DHCP lease that is generated by the DSL connection (the INTERNET side). From what I gather, this will help you keep the same I.P. address (static IP). Once you have dhclient.leases.em0 in your < /var/db >, I read that with BSD you do not have to wait for the lease to expire in order to re-new it. I have this this file::::

I tried:
Code:
# dhclient -r em0		# I get:  dhclient: illegal option - - r
I tried:
Code:
# /sbin/dhclient -r em0            # I get:  dhclient: illegal option - - r
Every link I found say this is the way and I can't find anything else that say anything other and I found not another word about it after the year 2005 other than the same code posted above, if that much. I could be using the wrong www.google.com. Is there another?

I read dhclient.conf(5), dhcpd.conf(5), dhcpd.leases(5), dhclient(8) and dhcpd(8) trying to get a clue but I found nothing but the fact that the -r option is not included, non did I understand what this option has been replaced with.

Anyway, there got to be a few ways that I have not found or else there would be no INTERNET. Could you guys tell post a few of the many ways to accomplish this using FreeBSD 8.2 or 9.0 that actually been tested and work on your machine?

Thanks in advance

http://www.moundalexis.com/archives/000054.php

I have 17 more links but they all say the same thing and nothing more. Just ask and I'll post them.