View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
cant w just install the userland sources from ports . This is something new for me.
No. The kernel and userland are the two parts that make up FreeBSD. The ports system work with ports, or third-party software that is not part of the OS.

Quote:
...in standard-supfile I'll add/change the following line
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_0 --- for 7.0 RELEASE

I didn't specify userland source any where, so is it going to fetch all the source in /usr/src
Yes, you did: you specified it as 7.0-RELEASE. If this is the OS version you are running, then this is correct. (I didn't check your csup command carefully.)
Quote:
Also I read that I can't delete these files as I'll need them later during upgrades. So how much space the source is going to occupy. If it is going to take lot of space like >= 500 then better install gnome from the packages or install KDE.
/usr/src for me is about 400MB, but that includes all of the intermediate files (I've not cleaned it up). If you ever want to build a kernel, or keep up with security patches (if you use a custom kernel) you really should have the OS sources installed.

You are certainly free to install the GNOME package, or use KDE. I'd not make the decision on whether it is worthwhile to install the OS source, though. It usually is a very small part of the installation size by the time you have various other ports and "stuff" installed. I have about 100GB installed, which includes various ISOs, a couple of virtual machines, and about 1200 ports. So I don't really bother much with .4GB of /usr/src.