View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th February 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
I run my own server, but mainly because I had quite a few sites and seem to keep adding more, so it made sense for me. Electricity isn't bad, but I live in Arizona so I'm used to high energy bills (especially in the summer). I think it adds about $5 - $15 a month to my electric bill, depending on utilization. Most tasks are automated, all I do is log in and read my email every morning (have root mail forwarded to my account so I can view the nightly task outputs).

It all comes down to how much you're willing to put in to it. It can be rewarding, but when there are problems there is nobody to complain to but yourself, so keep that in mind.
Thanks for the information. That's about what I figured for electricity (though, $15 would be a little on the high side). My hosting costs around $4 per month - but I'm going to have to upgrade to the $8 per month hosting because the economy plan doesn't include perl!

The site isn't anything that important - it's a personal site that I'll probably also use to host some of my own projects. I'll probably stay with the hosting company for at least one more year, but I'll also set up my own web server on my home network to practice and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
but I live in Arizona so I'm used to high energy bills (especially in the summer).
On a completely unrelated note: how hot does it get down there? I have relatives in New Mexico that I might visit and don't know if I should go in the summer? I've heard from others that it is a dry heat and so isn't that bad - is that true? Also, how are the killer bees?
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)