View Single Post
Old 17th July 2010
Spam Refugee

Well, that was an impressive critique, sharris. Fortunately, life goes on. As soon as you're moderating a 14,000-member forum, reading every post in every thread while booting off a dozen spammers every day, trying to get people to post coherent and readable posts, and suffering through the 1000th 'where is my desktop, I see only a black screen?!?!' question, and managing to keep every single member happy without a few feeling insulted or maligned, be sure to get back to me. I have no second thoughts about how I helped build and maintain a helpful and vibrant community, or about taking measures to prevent people or topics from bogging the forums down by useless, polarizing, repetitive or downright destructive and vicious discussions. I try to run a tight ship over there, not a popularity contest, though I have no reason to suspect that more than a handful of people would rather see me leave today than tomorrow. If you read 10% (or maybe even 1%) of my posts and still maintain that I'm a belliigerent unhelpful dictator, the FreeBSD Forums are probably not your cup of tea. To me, the vast number of active and returning members, and the steady influx of newcomers nice enough to press the 'thanks' button once in a while tell a completely different story. That's all I can say. Mostly because there are another 32 new posts on the FreeBSD Forums I have to go read now.

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 17th July 2010 at 12:49 AM.