View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Can't get mail system to work properly!

Hi everyone!

I am trying to set a complete mail system on my FreeBSD 7.0 box.
To do that, i followed this guide.

As you can see, it is based on:
- Exim
- SASLAuthd
- ClamAV
- SpamAssassin

On top of that, I had:
- Dovecot
- SquirrelMail

At that point, i can connect to SquirrelMail and perform the tests found on the guide with success.
At first, I had no mails in my box so I tried to copied a file from the root to my user. Clearly, i copied /var/mail/root to /var/mail/my_user and I could see the mails in my_user inbox once connected to squirrelmail. I took this as a proof that Dovecot and SquirrelMail were working properly.

The main issue is that I can't send an email, even internally. I tried, through squirrelmail, from my_user, to send an email to root or to my_user itself, I got no error, but didn't see the mail in the inbox (root's mails are redirected to my_user).

As I can perform the tests on exim and i can see the mails from /var/mail/my_user, I guess that Exim stores the mails received in another place. Where can I find this information? How can I know where and how Exim stores the mails?

An other thing is that I would like to have all the log messages redirected to the mail of my_user as well. I installed logwatch via portinstall but... the command logwatch is no where to be found. Am using bash2 as a shell so it should not be a rehash issue. I tried to disconnect myself and connect again but... nothing. Even the whereis command is giving only the port and the man page...

I just typed : portinstall logwatch

Is there anything else to do?

Thank you all!