View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Is anyone running BOINC SETI on FreeBSD?
Yes.
Quote:
I'm a bit confused on what
ports I need to install. I Googled and ran across one article that said
the port: "/usr/ports/astro/boinc-setiathome-enhanced" would pull
in everything/dependencies you need to get up an running. I read
another article that said you would first have to install
"/usr/ports/net/boinc-client" and then install
"/usr/ports/astro/boinc-setiathome-enhanced"
First of all - I am astonished that a lot of (new) FreeBSD users seem to be very reluctant when it comes to the only canonical way to get answers: try it for yourself.
This ain't Windows - you won't break anything by doing something in the wrong way, it just won't work. And most things can be undone, as long as you remember what you did.

Now, on to your questions:
You need the boinc-setiathome-enhanced[1] client. Now, if you look at that web page, you will see that it has dependencies (the lines starting with "Required..."). All these dependencies will be installed automatically by the orts system, if they are not installed already. Cool, huh? In "Required to build" you'll see the boinc-client[2], and also in the "Required to run".

The only thing I can think of that would confuse a new user, is that if you install boinc-setiathome-enhanced and boinc-client wasn't installed before, the install message (pkg-message) for boinc-cient would scroll off screen bfore you could read it, and thus not know how to enable the boinc client.
Well, the file (pkg-message) is still thee in the directory of boinc-client, you can read it as many times as you wish.

Good luck.

References:
1) http://www.freshports.org/astro/boin...home-enhanced/
2) http://www.freshports.org/net/boinc-client/