Thread: Marketing
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2008
Spam Deminer

I think the one angle that's not been considered (or perhaps I've missed it) is Google searches based on actual content (forum posts that address specific issues of interest to someone searching), instead of Google searches based on terms like "bsd" and "forums".

Example- so if someone googles for OpenBSD and VPN's, perhaps this site would pop up in the results referencing a guide someone recently published here about such an animal... and hopefully that result would be higher in the results than some other sites with the same relative amount of relative content, thus giving this site more exposure and hopefully as a result, driving more traffic here.

The way to enhance this is to generate and submit a sitemap to Google. It's part of their webmaster tools, which include other neato things to help bring up the popularity of this site without having to spend $$$ or have crazy Google Ad Sense ads. As they even instruct, when done automagically as part of a cron job, even the newest content on the site can be readily indexed in Google's monster brain, waiting for prospective new users of this site to pluck it.

If this has already been done, please forgive me for mentioning it. But if it hasn't, I can attest to the fact that it's pretty darn useful, and can drive more traffic here.

Last edited by ai-danno; 24th May 2008 at 04:36 AM.