View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
I'm working with UNIX operating systems since the early 90s. Sometimes I have to work with Microsoft or Apple systems, because there is no alternative or the alternative is of low quality. Personally I avoid OpenOffice and use LaTeX, but if I have to use something different, then I prefer Ms Office and it's plethora of possibilities to connect to different applications like e.g. Statistica. Heck, I even leave sometimes *BSD far behind, because it sucks in certain areas. This is a fact, not fiction. There is no room for ideology in a professional environment and most 'facts' are indeed ideology-driven, ignoring lots of the real needs.
+1

As much as I like my OpenBSD the truth of the mater is that is just a tool. It is actually a tool of very limited purpose (network appliance OS) which also makes an outstanding (probably the best) desktop OS for a competent Unix user. However, it definitely has its limitation in professional environment, and I am not talking here about the Flash and Skype Just like airplanes are not intended to dive and submarines are not built to fly OpenBSD is not built do do certain things.

Also the whole concept on depending on bunch of voluntaries is just unacceptable on the work place. Take a clue from RedHat vs Debian debate.