View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiimao View Post
...I tried to install from a USB flash stick following this guide: http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20100404103735
A far simpler solution would be to install OpenBSD to a USB flash drive as described in Section 4 of the FAQ. Copy the bsd.rd kernel to the root partition + copy the necessary filesets to an accessible location. Where ever you want to install OpenBSD, boot the bsd.rd kernel instead of the default bsd kernel, & install as directed. You will be getting the same result as a custom constructed USB flash drive with far less effort.
Quote:
After messing around for a while I figured out what to do.
Making some mistakes here and there I figured it would be best to just start the installation over... the first mistake.
Without information as what the steps taken were, there is little anyone can do to resurrect your installation.
Quote:
I wanted to use a softraid encrypted disk...
Guessing, I question what the partition configuration was used, & if you encrypted the boot partition. If so, this would account for not being able to reboot; the boot partition cannot be encrypted.
Quote:
Now I can't get further than boot> prompt on the install media.
It outputs:
Code:
booting hd0a:/bsd: and a line full of numbers..
..and then nothing.
...which might be explained by my earlier hypothesis.
Quote:
I can't understand what I can have messed up besides the default linux install on the HDD, but what's on the drive shouldn't matter for the installer to boot?
I can only hope that anything critical, be in on your OpenBSD or Linux installation, was backed up.
Quote:
If you've made it this far then my obvious question to you is, what now?
You can do a default install of OpenBSD to the USB flash drive, & boot OpenBSD from flash. At this point, use disklabel(8) to look at the encrypted hard drive to discern if the partitioning is recognized. If it is, then you may be able to mount unencrypted partitions in order to retrieve important data. If nothing is important, simply reinstall.