View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2009
New User

OK, quick update. Last night I restored the original Xandros OS and performed an install to a 4 gig 30Mb/s SD card. Set it up to boot from the SD card and mounted /home to the 32 gig SSD. Boots fine now. So the problem has to be the partition table on the 8 gig SSD, I don't know if I overlapped the partitions or if the problem was the "magic number" thing I was reading about. Either way I will run it from the SD card until I figure out if I can make OpenBSD do what I want it to do. Basically make wireless work, get XFCE on it for a window manager. I only really use it for internet anyway, hopefully it will be a little more flexable and less laggy than the default OS (5-10 seconds to open a web page and be able to scroll up/down on the page). Seems like I am not asking much, but we will see. Thanks for the help, I may revisit this issue at a later time if I decide it works well enough to completely wipe the default partition table.

Is there some documentation somewhere that I can read to let me know what portions of the file tree can be mounted read only for most day to day operations? Like I know that you have to have write access to the /usr folder for compiling programs, but sense you are not always compiling, can you mount it read only most of the time, but remount it rw if you need to compile something and then remount ro after the compile is done? Or do you have to have rw to run programs that are installed to /usr? I guess what I am looking for is documentation on how the base filesystem is utilized by the OS so I can optimize it for use on a SSD without wearing out the disk.