View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

/emulators/fedora/base

I want to warn you about something. Linux compatibility layer is based on Fedora core 4.
As you probably know that is very old release of Fedora. That is becoming a serious issue if you want to run Linux applications. For instance Opera which require Linux compatibility is rather unstable on 4.3 current.

Now most OpenBSD users like myself try by all means to avoid installing Linux packages and usually have Linux compatibility layer turned off. I feel that OpenBSD project is at the point when they should decide if they want to maintain Linux compatibility layer or to get a read of it all together. If they want to keep it the above port should be bumped up to the latest Fedora release. That is a very serious job as Linux kernel has been updated to 2.6. Despite the fact that I try to avoid turning Linux compatibility layer by all means I find it very useful in some cases as I absolutely do not run anything else on my machines but OpenBSD. If the Linux compatibility is removed I might be forced to use Linux in some very special cases.

There is also the issue of FreeBSD compatibility layer (the latest supported packages are for FreeBSD 4.10). At this point the port should be definitely removed at least temporary. I do not know enough to tell you if it is possible to create compatibility layer for the latest FreeBSD 7.0 since OpenBSD and FreeBSD are presently very different operating systems unlike in the past.

I would love to read comments of more experienced people than me about the above issues.