View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

Thanks for this post, it's a topic that's been in the back of my mind (among many others). One reason is that with a laptop, everything is different than the 17" CRT, and bigger fonts are needed on the higher resolution screen.

I had forgotten about the Shift-Keypad[Plus|Minus] method. Though, my laptop has no numeric keypad, so unfortunately this won't work, at least not without some serious X key remapping.

The font menu through Ctrl-Button3 is also problematical. Like a lot of laptops, mine has just two buttons, although you can press both (where they join) to get a 3rd. There are lots of programs competing for convenient mouse button usage though, so while that works I'm not really happy with it either. And the touchpad button emulation is no help.

Also I'd like to have the xterm come up with the right font to begin with, rather than having to set it each time. One way is with a command-line option, e.g.,

$ xterm -fn '-*-terminus-bold-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' ...

but better would be to put something in ~/.Xresources. I haven't gotten to mucking around with that yet, but if I come up with anything good I'll try to remember to post it here.

Last edited by IdOp; 22nd December 2011 at 04:33 AM. Reason: add egg sample