Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
I admit that I get irritated when people look down their noses at Windows (or whatever OS you choose). For me they are tools to accomplish certain tasks, and not the end in and of themselves. If an application runs only on Windows, well, OK. If they can run on BSD I'd prefer it, but beyond serving and simple desktop stuff there really isn't much. That's OK too.
I'll use Windows if I have to. I have Windows Vista Basic installed on my MacBook Pro just for gaming and if I ever need it for anything else. However, I think the solution for nonexistant applications is out there. I understand that it's just not feasible to code your own applications, but that's where WINE comes in. I think the WINE project has done a great job getting the 1.0 and now the 1.1.0 versions out. Now is that time for Codeweavers to move away from providing a easier to use monolithic WINE. Codeweavers should work on providing WINE-based wrappers for specific programs. I'd imagine that coding an entire API and maintaining compatibility with all applications known to work from releases to release and adding support for more applications at the same time is quite a difficult task. Either Codeweavers does it, or the actual application makers use WINE to port their applications over at least to Linux as Google has done.