View Single Post
Old 11th March 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The single most important reason for me is a stable and function Opera browser...

I know Opera runs on OpenBSD, but only on bsd.sp, not with bsd.mp. For some reason Xorg is very slow when I run bsd.sp ... (I detailed those problems on these forums some time ago ... This has little to do with OpenBSD by the way and more with Xorg. I have the same problem on FreeBSD. But strangely not on Linux or OpenSolaris).
I can fully understand that. I love Opera too I use it exclusively when I need full blown browser. I wish there was a native port. There was even willingness on a side of some OpenBSD developers to sign NDA (the first time I heard of such situation) but Opera team declined the offer.

The main reason I tried and switched to OpenBSD from FreeBSD three years ago was that I needed TeXLive which has never been ported (properly using FreeBSD ports frame work not quick unofficial ports). In retrospect I would buy a drink to Hiroki Sato whose lack of effort and big ego made me try and switch to OpenBSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Another advantage of FreeBSD is a more friendly community in general -- I can send in patches and bugreports without the fear of being scolded at if I make some mistake.
I can see how OpenBSD community can make many people feel uncomfortable. Having been born in Eastern Europe and studying mathematics both in Eastern and Western Europe and finally North America (firstly as a foreigner and only latter as U.S. citizen) has made me very resilient to the "OpenBSD type of culture".