View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

@ninjatux. Well, let's be flexible in our definition of flexible. In this case, I meant easily used by the beginner and still usable by the more advanced.

In the sense that I think you're using the word, configurable, you won't get an argument from me. However, though I've used many different Linux distributions, I've probably spent more time learning how to configure the BSDs, so I could easily be wrong. (For example, I don't do that much configuring of CentOS, choose some packages here, stop some services there, and then go to putting in the applications.)

As for Ubuntu forums, yes, there are far more beginners than experts there, but the number of experts seems sufficient--it's just that there's a lot of silliness to wade through before finding an answer. I remember coming across a thread of someone who had a problem--seeing that the thread was 20 posts long, I didn't think it would need me to post the solution. (A simple with thing with sound on Acer laptops at the time, which as been fixed since.)
However, looking at the thread, I saw that no one had given the right answer.

On the other hand, and I guess this fits in with Ubuntu's stated mission, to bring Linux to the masses so to speak, I see amazing patience with the silly beginner questions on that forum. I also see that the beginners gradually answer the person with even less knowledge, so it seems to be a good community, despite the sometimes overwhelming numbers of newcomers.