View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2016
New User

Default Best BSD for my Lenovo G50-80 laptop?

Hello.

Which BSD would be the best for my Lenovo G50-80 laptop? When I bought it in the end of October or so, I first tried OpenBSD 5.8, but it was somewhat slow, didn't support wireless ad-hoc mode or hardware video acceleration, had old software packages and C++ libraries, and I couldn't get webcams (built-in or an external USB) to work. I also tried NetBSD and DragonFly BSD, but I recall neither supported the wireless card, and one didn't support the graphics.

Later, some time ago, I tried FreeBSD 11-CURRENT, but it didn't support the graphics or wlan either.

Now I'm considering trying NetBSD or DragonFly BSD again, if they have better hardware support now. Which one would be better, or should I still wait some time and try OpenBSD 5.9 or wait for a newer FreeBSD release?

Some desirable features would be hardware support, a comprehensive and up-to-date set of software packages, good C++ support, and using LLVM instead of GCC.

What kind of virtualization and Boost C++ Library support do they have? For example, do they support Boost::Asio?