View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossala View Post
This time I want to make sure I can install OpenBSD as I'm getting sick of Linux. Can you guys give me some direction...
While I understand your question, providing anecdotal evidence is getting harder given that manufacturers are coming out with new models faster than they did a few years ago. As an example, Lenovo appears to be introducing new models every few months. This is simply a faster cycle than the OpenBSD developers can absorb newer hardware to determine/ensure compatibility.

The OpenBSD developers have no arrangement with manufacturers allowing them to determine compatibility before release. The developers simply buy hardware just like the rest of us to see what works & what doesn't. Sometimes, members of the community will buy hardware for the developers either because the developers have requested specific items:

http://www.openbsd.org/want.html

...or users want to see specific hardware supported faster, so they either loan hardware to developers, or simply buy it for them outright.

If you are unable/unwilling to provide hardware, the solution is three-fold:
  • Search/read the misc@ archives for the manufacturer/models in which you have interest. Perhaps information there already mentions compatibility.
  • Go to a brick-&-mortar store which will allow you to run a Live CD (an excellent use for jggimi's CD/DVD-environment offerings...), & test yourself.
  • If you do order online or through mail-order, be very clear as the conditions of their return policy in case you are not satisfied with whatever conclusions you may draw.

Last edited by ocicat; 17th December 2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarity