View Single Post
Old 27th July 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
I don't understand that sentence. If there is no pre-existing connection, then there's nothing to reconnect on failure.
I'll try again. Basically I would like OpenBSD to always try and make a connection. If the system is started = make pppoe connection; if the line breaks/disconnects/restarts = reconnect right away and continue to try until it is successful. In the end OpenBSD/ppp should ALWAYS try and make sure it HAS a connection.

Quote:
There is no "/etc/netsh" file in this OS.
Sorry I meant netstart

Quote:
Then set up a cron(8) script that runs every few minutes, checks line status, discovers an outage caused by your yanking cables, and attempts a restart.
Would you have an example? I have not determined how to check if the pppoe connection is active. I can tell if it has an IP address but that is all.

Quote:
Parentheses are used for dynamic IP addresses, not dynamically created pseudo NICs. To have the OS create a tun(4) interface at boot time, you can use something similar to:

# echo up > /etc/hostname.tun0
Thanks I will try that.

Quote:
Connect without specifying a default route in your ppp.conf. Examine the output of $ route -n show -inet. If you need a default route at that point, try adding it with the route(8) command. Examine the route table before/after.
Quote:
I do seem to get the correct IP without the line and the internet does work when omitting the line.
As said if I don't hard code anything the internet does work and I am assigned the correct IP. The default route is assigned the "dynamic" gateway.

Quote:
You have described a gateway at the other end of your PPP connection that changes. That gateway address MUST be your default route. Each time that remote address changes .... so must your default route.
Correct -which does happen. However I do not get assigned the static gateway that was assigned to me. Hence I would like to hard code it to see if my performance increases. As of yet I seem to get no connection whenever the "proper" gateway is set.

I'm limited at this time to make any changes since I risk loosing the connection. If you feel I should still try the changes listed earlier, I can do so later.

Thanks for your help!