View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Given how laptops have standardized through the years, sticking with one particular vendor is not always cost effective.
You may be right, but I am a little stubborn concerning such things.. as long as I am satisfied with a brand I won't change it. And as I am using an IBM Thinkpad myself I can't even think of better hardware. Its just the need for increasing resources which are forcing me thinking about what notebook to buy. (Probably it will be a Thinkpad W500, but that's not for sure).

Quote:
[*] Search the official misc@ archives for previous discussion on the vendor.
That's a good idea, thank you!

Quote:
[*] Install the recent release or snapshot of OpenBSD to a USB drive, & take this to a computer store. Either the employees there will allow you to boot off the USB drive, or they won't.
I guess I won't find the notebook I want to buy in a store (because I won't buy the newest hardware)

Quote:
[*] If a computer is being ordered online, be very clear as to the return policy in case you decide that the system doesn't run OpenBSD to your satisfaction.
In general the german return policies are really fine (no problems returning an item within 14 days), but probably I will buy an used one at a great online auction..

Quote:
Finally, information on the project's official mailing lists can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

A favorite mailing list archive by many involved with the project & readers here is:

http://marc.info/
I've signed up in several lists allready (according to the FAQ's hints), but the archive may be a great help.
So, thank you once more ocicat! I haven't even get startet with OpenBSD and you helped me so much allready

Last edited by undercover_penguin; 19th January 2014 at 12:59 PM.