View Single Post
Old 20th August 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ak View Post
Then the OpenBSD system is not suitable for production environments; as an example, AIX listened to its customers, my employer, and developed suitable options to fit within IBM's AIX framework to meet those customers' needs; an outright "No" is hardly a great way to get others to use OpenBSD.
OpenBSD doesn't have customers. It has users. And users are "listened to" primarily in four ways:
  1. bug reports
  2. donations of money or equipment
  3. CD purchases
  4. development efforts via user-provided software or patches
Quote:
Also, if OpenBSD's goal is to meet ONLY its members' needs, why release it at all? I think in releasing something to the public entails collaboration with that public; if not collaboration, a patient response to why something is not done or will never be done.
This is the official goal list:

http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html

Quote:
I am new to OpenBSD and not exactly new to Unix/Linux; overall, the install procedure is not difficult and, yet, neither is it intuitive. Especially when trying to follow the automatic partitioning of slices... I have 16GB or RAM and the auto partitioner allocated 16GB of swap space! In 1995 swap should mirror RAM; in 2014 that might not be the case for almost all modern systems; ...
I disagree with both of these opinions but this may just be because of longer experience. I find the installer both easy and intuitive, and my swap space is at least larger than main memory size on non-embedded platforms, as I wish to be able to obtain and analyse dumps from kernel crashes. These are stored in swap space, uncompressed, for later storing in /var/crash after reboot.
Quote:
... further, the default list in disklabel slices is in some esoteric format ...
the default is sectors, as explained here. Both programs allow the user to use bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, and cylinders for partition start and partition length values.
Quote:
I've noticed that OpenBSD attracts a lot of "RTFM" responses; the problem with that is that man/info pages are written by those who know for those who know but may need a little refresher on flags, etc.
The "info" pages are only applicable to applications obtained from the GNU project, and as they are not maintained by OpenBSD, anything confusing or misleading in them should really be reported upstream.

The OS's definitive documentation is its collection of man pages. However, they are not intended to be tutorials.

The only official "How To" documents are the FAQ and its subsidiary documents such as the PF Users Guide.

Last edited by jggimi; 20th August 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo