View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkontos View Post
When was the last time you had to set up a Linux server ?
Why on earth would a server need running bluetouth service (RHEN)?
Why a server should ever be configured using DHCP (Ubuntu) ?

As far as the dinosaurs are concerned, welcome to the 21st century where the horsepower of a modern server can seriously doubt the benefit of setting up different servers when you can use an ESX for that purpose.

Unix has grown but the needs of a server - desktop environment have become very far apart. Also, consider the security issues for a kernel that have to support all the device drivers of modern desktop peripherals. Even in a modular environment.

Best Regards,
George

>When was the last time you had to set up a Linux server ?

A month ago, Debian Etch. And my first UNIX was Irix in the nineties at university.

>Unix has grown but the needs of a server

UNIX has been developed in an academical environment with development purposes in mind. Later some guys decided to 'misuse' it as server, but it never lost it's workstation appeal! And what the heck is a desktop? This kindergarten flavour of Apple or maybe Fluxbox or Gnome or Windows? It's *your* desktop, your very own idea of an environment able to *serve* your purposes and the same is true for a server. So in the end an operating system has to deliver the proper base to *server* me.

>Also, consider the security issues for a kernel that have to support all the device drivers of modern desktop peripherals.

That's nonsense in opensource, because there is a developer who develops such a driver and later maintains it. So if you banish this driver, then this developer will choose a different operating system to work on. Last not least your saying is true for every device driver, if there isn't a developer who cares about it. Welcome to opensource and this is of course true for *BSD too.

-------------------------------
And to all Macmanicas: answer me one question please - did you buy the Mac for UNIX purposes or desktop use? So don't tell me something about Jobs marketing yada-yada-yada. You bought the Mac because this kind of desktop fits your idea of it. And the 'UNIX under the surface' is something to ease your 'opensource conscience' look boy, it's a UNIX(TM) too and it's even something like a FreeBSD (in fact it's something FreeBSD, BSD4.x, NextStep(based on BSD4.x), Mach, NetBSD, GNU and some commercial glue mixed up to represent something UNIX according to the definition of the OpenGroup).