View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2010
Arp Constable

You have several decent IDEs to choose from, you probably should test them out.

Code::Blocks

Focused on C++ development but works fine for C, supports numerous compilers, including GNU, Microsoft, Borland, and Intel offerings. It's also a cross platform IDE written in WxWidgets (use the 2.8 Unicode port) and has a plugin oriented architecture. Best to build Code::Blocks from the subversion trunk rather then using the devel/codeblocks port; they rarely make a "Release" but the project is maintained decently enough. Installing from trunk is easy, you only need two options for ./configure to work properly on FreeBSD. I use this IDE for maintaining a game project of mine, called Stargella. The build system is quite nice, but not as good as Visual Studio.

Eclipse

Written in Java and focused on writing apps in Java, it also supports numerous other languages through add ons, such as the C Development Tools (CDT). It's a professional strength IDE but the FreeBSD port is not always well maintained. The current version in ports is Eclipse 3.4.2; generally java/eclipse runs 1 or 2 versions behind Eclipse's stable releases; this can make it a triffle difficult to maintain packages downloaded through the IDE.

CodeLite

A small light weight IDE, flexible and C/C++ oriented; written in C++/WxWidgets. It may be better suited for more technically inclined users (i.e. you know how your build tools work).

KDevelop

A heavy weight IDE focused on KDE development, that also supports many languages. It could be considered similar to Eclipse and Visual Studio, I guess. The Qt4/KDE4 version is still in development, so the IDE is still Qt3/KDE3 based.

Anjunta

GNOMEs C/C++ IDE, and GTK+ based. I've never used it but would think it meshes well with Glade 2 or Glade 3.

QtCreator

A very nice C++ IDE by the people behind Qt, and it integrates well with tools like assistant and designer. It was very good last time I used it, and focused on C++/Qt4 development, which is a very good frame work (Qt). This is a cross platform IDE.

There is also Geany, but like Anjuta, I've never used it. There are also other IDEs available in ports and by manual installation/porting that are usable on FreeBSD, but Visual Studio ofc isn't one of them.

Footnote: I can't speak for features of the IDEs editing components compared to Visual Studio, because whether I use RXVT, Visual Studio, or Code::Blocks for a project, I always write my code in Vi IMproved; and usually dispense with traditional IDEs all together.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.