View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinosK View Post
I read a lot of tutorials online, asked friends...
First of all, welcome!

The OpenBSD culture is different. Your single best source for information is the documentation supplied by the OpenBSD project. These include:
  • the manpages.
  • information found at the project's Website, including the FAQ.
  • information uttered by project developers on the project's mailing lists.
Quote:
- forwarded port 22 in my router. not sure if it' s as supposed, but when I nmap my public ip I can see it open.
SSH can be installed & given a default configuration at installation. You will find information about this in Section 4.5.2 of the FAQ. SSH is a common service/daemon most use, so it can be set up at install time.
Quote:
- forwarded port 22 in my router. not sure if it' s as supposed, but when I nmap my public ip I can see it open.
I assume that SSH was then configured upon installation.
Quote:
- set up a dyndns acount...
Here is where you begin talking about two separate issues. One, is whether SSH is configured as you like. Two, whether DNS is configured as you like. Let us take these one at a time.

Assuming SSH is installed on multiple computers in your network, connect to each machine first by IP address. This simplifies the overall problem by taking DNS lookups out of the picture initially, & allows you to focus solely on SSH issues. Once you have tweaked the configurations via information found on the sshd(8), sshd_config(5), ssh(1), & ssh_config(5) (amongst others...) to your liking, then worry about DNS.

Lastly, we find most members on this site search/mine previous threads for information. As such, we try to keep threads on topic with a minimum of straying. Because this thread is initially on SSH issues, please keep discussion on this topic. Once you are satisfied with your SSH configuration, start a new thread on any remaining DNS issues you wish to discuss. Thanks.