View Single Post
Old 31st December 2008
Disgruntled desktop user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Well it is kind a funny that you are deliberating between FreeBSD and NetBSD bearing in mind your experience with FreeBSD transition from
XOrg 6.9 to XOrg 7.0 modular. What do you expect will happen with NetBSD 5.0 when they move from XFree86 to XOrg 7.4 modular? You choice should be clear FreeBSD.
I don't have any issue with an OS going to a big change in XOrg etc. What I did object to was the *way* they did it. All of a sudden the ports tree required a whole new XOrg. That is not smart and it broke a lot of stuff. It should have been handled as a major version and not just thrown in in the middle of a release.

Right now the most important criteria for me in choosing an OS are stability, AMD64 support/exploitation, and how simple it is to run winbloze in a VM.

Quote:
I wonder why didn't you consider OpenBSD? If you are as conservative user as you claim OpenBSD would be the perfect choice. I might be little bit bias since I used it but based on my heuristic experience OpenBSD is the most stable of all BSDs following closely by NetBSD. FreeBSD is by far the list stable of big three.
I like OpenBSD very much especially for the cleanliness and simplicity. But not having an easy way to run winbloze in a VM may be a show stopper if I can't get enough performance out of bloze under K/Qemu.

Quote:
On the another hand real question you should be asking yourself is what will be the primary use for your system and what kind a hardware you will be dealing with.
I know all that already

Quote:
DragonFly with kernel support for clustering.
Bummer, I just burned a CD of 2.0 and as usual it doesn't come up on any of my machines. 1.8.0 was fine but 1.6 was also a problem. I will have to wait until the dragon fly guys get more hardware support going.

Quote:
NetBSD portability on old crappy hardware (very little support for non i386 and amd64 on modern hardware), best virtualization in BSD world and fantastic solution for embedded devices.
I read the NetBSD doc on Xen and it was confusing. I get the feeling it's a work in progress and not very refined. Unless I'm wrong, I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing until they get a turnkey virtualization setup going. I don't want to be a NetBSD developer, I just need a stable, high-performance platform and virtual host. I love pkgsrc though, and would like to run a NetBSD box. Unfortunately, the latest AMD64 port only boots on one of my boxes. I will have to do some juggling to get this going if I choose it.
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO