View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th August 2010
Port Guard

Wink

RE:

Quote:
Back in the 4.8 days atapicam was not a loadable module you had to rebuild your kernel and the why to rebuild the kernel is different from the why it is done now.
. . .yeah, that's what I've suspected; however, the man pages for burncd on v4.8 state

Quote:
HISTORY
The burncd utility appeared in FreeBSD 4.0.
Regarding my shell script running on either either v4.8 or v7.2, shouldn't mkisofs be part of the mix?

The "big picture" goal is to upgrade the v4.8 box to v7.2 or 8+ ASAP. The v7.2 box is a prototype backup machine. We've got a lot of stuff running on the old v4.8 box and I want to "clone" the systems to the v7.2 box . . .so that it can run as the production server(s) while the old box is upgraded.

I would like to use a tar-to-CDRW scenario to backup the systems on a periodic basis . . .no more tapes. I could use sftp to "clone" the old to the new box, but seems to me that tar with "differences" would be useful.

BTW . . .if you wondering why we're still running v4.8 . . .well, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it . . .that's more than Windoze can say.

Last edited by rtwingfield; 13th August 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: . . .as usual grammar and clarification