View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd007 View Post
Please give me...
No.

Developing and maintaining a functional, useful PF configuration requires two skills. 1) The admin must have knowledge of how the network protocols to be governed by PF actually function, and 2) the admin must also understand how PF configuration rules are applied. If you copy and paste a ruleset provided by someone else, it won't help you to develop either of these skills.
You do not appear to have a clear understanding of the protocols used by the Transmission application: Bit Torrent, and its underlying UDP and TCP protocols.

You do not appear to understand the basics of PF configurations.
For many years, Peter Hansteen - the author of The Book of PF - has travelled the world presenting PF Tutorials. He begins each and every Tutorial session by having his attendees recite this "Pledge of the Network Admin" aloud:
Code:
This is my network.

It is mine
or technically my employer’s,
it is my responsibility
and I care for it with all my heart
there are many other networks a lot like mine,
but none are just like it.

I solemnly swear
that I will not mindlessly paste from HOWTOs.
Mr. Hansteen's Book of PF is excellent, and I recommend it. In addition, his tutorial is available online, and may provide you with guidance you have not been able to obtain to date from the PF User's Guide.

Edited to add: the best book I've found on networking for admins is Networking for System Administrators, by Michael W. Lucas.

Last edited by jggimi; 2nd December 2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added a good pointer for networking education