View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th March 2011
Arp Constable

Based on your wanting to run various Operation Systems it seems that you are mainly building to experience different Distributions rather than to accomplish some specific tasks. Also some of the systems you mention have had newer releases - in particular Linux Mint 10 and PC-BSD 8.2 have recently been released.

The system that I use day in and out gets the newest hardware and the most stable Operating system that I can generate to get my work done. When I want to try out a new configuration or OS it goes in the older hardware. Multiboot systems have their place ($5000 CAD program that only runs on XP) but you only use one at a time on a single box (I don't use virtual machines). I wonder what PC-BSD does that LInux Mint does not?

I would also suggest that the experience of building a custom FreeBSD system (you should come pretty close to duplicating the Mint applications) will teach you a great deal. All distros usually have a hardware compatibility list and comparing the one you find on the MInt Web site vs the one on the FreeBSD site will be enlightening. In general Linux tends to support the latest hardware earlier than the BSD's.