View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
Why can't they make a regular sized laptop?!
I suspect the answer to your question is more market-oriented as opposed to any reason related to engineering. Numerous urban legends surround how Intel's marketing practices kick in when any of the big players were rumoured to be offering AMD-based laptops. Given how desktop & laptop manufacturing costs have to be manically watched given the margins manufacturers get are razor-thin, any salesman walking into the door who can promise a cheaper price on processors won't be waiting long before being ushered into some VP's office.

As for your question on sub-10" laptop market (dubbed netbooks, BTW...), the reason the laptop manufacturing houses are clambering to build them is because they are selling exceedingly well in a slumping market. I have two, & they fill the needs I wanted them for better than a 15" laptop, & the price for each was less than $500US. Yes, they are cramped, but neither are they or would I recommend them to be a primary laptop. Yet as secondary laptops, they are quite handy, & they run OpenBSD quite well.