Thread: Video For BSD
View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
Video-4-BSD

Quote:
OpenBSD -CURRENT has a video(4), a V4L compatibility layer... and uvideo(4) for newer UVC cameras.

If the layer you propose is incompatible, a lot of user land applications already written for Linux will go to waste.
Interesting. I'm basically familiar with FreeBSD port: /usr/ports/devel/linux-kmod-compat -- currently it supports only a few V4L webcams but it's a proof-of-concept that the idea will work.

Does the OpenBSD V4L compatibility layer allow V4L device drivers for cameras, DVB/ATSC TV-Tuners, USB sticks, ...etc. to run on OpenBSD?

Quote:
I haven't read about your project in detail, but NTSC isn't entirely dead, it'll still be useful in rural areas.. and in Canada, it'll be around until at least 2011.
NTSC will still be used for cable (at least until 2012), closed circuit TV, and internal hotel networks for years to come.

Quote:
your point about BSD not having things in kernel isn't entirely accurate either, OpenBSD for instance does not believe in kernel modules, while the functionality remains, it's not used by any kernel drivers. (I'm only aware of kqemu in ports that uses it..).
So porting V4L apps and drivers to OpenBSD is easy?

Quote:
I'll read more about your project goals, but writing drivers for every tuner chipset sounds like a very daunting task...
That's the whole point of the project -- the work has already been done for Video-4-Linux. We don't need to re-invent wheels.

Quote:
Will the driver support *all* of the BSD derivatives? Without FreeBSD favouritism?
Sounds like a good plan. I wonder about portability between the BSDs. So far we've just FreeBSD developers interested. Probably we'll need someone knowledgeable of OpenBSD device drivers with us on the team ( hint, hint,.. )

Last edited by Fritz_Katz; 19th July 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add 2012 date for analog cable NTSC support.