View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
Various error codes include the term:
"fatal panic (6) in supervisor mode"
You should take the time to study the crash(8) manpage if you want to delve into causes.
Quote:
Was today's snapshot a "bad build"?
I assume you are referring to the last August 24 i386 build. I have been using this snapshot intensely this weekend without issue.
Quote:
I had some problems with several USB drives in the front of my old box with OBSD from time to time.
So, there is some historic precedent here. You may want to consider adding a USB PCI card (~$25US) to see if this circumvents these problems.
Quote:
IIRC, I modified the kernel...

Installed on the USB drive? You need to fully disclose all details of customization. It is also advisable to keep a copy of the original snapshot kernel (I append the snapshot's date to a copy immediately after installing...) for testing/insurance reasons.

The etiquette of the official misc@ mailing list is to drop any discussion of systems found having custom kernels. Diagnosing such frankensystems is simply too involved to be worth the effort.

In short, it sounds you are having hardware compatibility issues. It is impossible to pinpoint the USB flash drive as the culprit given the known flaky nature of the computer's USB subsystem.