Thread: Cold War 2 ???
View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Russia has been pretty interesting lately. Especially their treatment of Georgia.

I think the Russian government is asserting itself back onto the world stage in a manner not unlike how the US government has been trying to assert itself internationally. Neither wants to really start the Cold War up again, but neither wants to admit that China and India are the new powerhouse nations.

The US has a lot more to lose in this way IMO. Russia is covered with natural resources (however inconveniently they may be situated), but the US has outsourced the greater majority of all of its manufacturing...

But really, the Ukraine and Russian relations are probably the most interestign thing to keep an eye on re: Cold War 2. The Ukraine is often considered a massive Democratic success. If the Russians attempt to take them back in any way less that entirely mutual, then it'll be kind of scary...

But I doubt they would. The Russian Federation is struggling with too many sub-cultures trying to become independent (Chechnya being a primary one) to try to build a new empire. They risk invalidating their current state as a collection of states forced together.

A bit longer than I intended... but I will say that in my opinion, some of the things the US is doing on the borders of the Former Soviet Union is plain wrong from the standpoint that they're antagonizing a country that they should be embracing.