View Single Post
Old 16th June 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
It's true that the convention is not standard, but the argument is that the OUTERMOST edge of the platter is the BEGINNING of the disk, and the INNERMOST edge of the platter is the END of the disk. It's not standard, but everyone seems to do it that way.
I been with this for over an decade, religiously.

Quote:
I think a lot of the frustration is that you hang on to this idea that the innermost track is the start.
I hate to sound like a broken record but from day-1, the year of when Partition Magic was invented, I thought the starting point was at the hard-drive most-outer position, with the MBR being on the first sector after you create the first Partition. Now both are at the top most-outer position.

Every document say, the most-outer positions is the fastest partition. Suppose you dd something and it show you the reverse (with the most inner partitions being the fastest). Would that make you wonder. Yes because you are deeping into it than I ever been or either you learn fast. I know darn well the world can't be wrong so I got the notion to reverse the idea and when I saw

Quote:
Perhaps partition 2 is the outermost partition?
That would mean partitions build have to begin from the inner-most in order for that to be possible, so I went with that. Now the world is right again and I accepted beening wrong for so long. Who am I against tons of documented facts... I bow-down.

I love that I idea and it makes all the since and I'm going to keep most parts of it on the back-burner just in case, but since you done the math I am there.

I still have not partition my HDD to do my final set up, so I can't do the zcav thing yet but I will soon. I do trust your math, some of it is in the textbook but I can't count money well. I always been weak at doing the math. If I knew how to do the math this thread would not be here.

Thanks and do give me a little time so I can read the how-to zcat, etc. One thing for sure, it makes no differences if it's bottoms-up or top-down ... I know enough not to run my main OS from Partition-1 on any HDD that prove to be slower. Other can make their own choices. I post my numbers and mostly talk myself up on solutions lately, anyway. So you will find my zcav numbers here. It be back to business for me tomorrow. I feel burn out all day wondering how to explain why.

Quote:
Sure, it's easier to make a pizza from the inside out, but we aren't talking pizza here.
It was only another scenario. I do that all the time, all my life to throw out some ideas. If it is not true I only hope that someone in the conversation would say so. Thanks you for saying so

P3 is the WINNER, regardless and it's not my fault!

Thanks again

Last edited by sharris; 16th June 2011 at 04:00 AM.