View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn1u View Post
I need a few answers. I wanna install OpenBSD for counter strike servers. I will give shells account for control of CS server, I wont use panel (www+php), so need high security thats why i choose openbsd. Someone can tall me is it make any sense use obsd for servers cs i mean speed this OS, Will not it to slow for servers, everone knows thats hdd is cryptography thats why obsd is slower than freebsd or netbsd i think so. Is it good choice ? I need high secury os.
Let my try providing you with a few answers,
  • If you plan on offering SSH access to this system, you'll need to be at least partially competent as a system administrator.
  • Software doesn't instantly become vulnerability-free when you run OpenBSD, some exploit mitigation is available(propolice stack protector, malloc randomization, initial PIE support in 4.5).. but these alone won't save you.
  • OpenBSD does not encrypt file systems by default, any perceived slowness is simply that.. your perception, I personally find it quite responsive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn1u View Post
I installed oper on OpenBSD 4.4, works fine, when i installed openbsd 4.5 opera go to down it doesn't want to start, my system starting slowly and i have to use hand reboot becouse i can do nothing with this.

I need flash ! What can i do with this problem..
Didn't you just say this was going to be a server?

I advise you to use a different OS.

Hope that helps.