View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxo View Post
...its twice as long as the previous one...
You have two dmesg's in there. If RAM is not erased by BIOS at reboot, the OS will retain what it can and wrap the dmesg area, just in case the older data is needed.

I don't know what this means, but it doesn't look good:
Code:
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
Invalid device
Invalid device
Invalid device
Invalid device
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 1 (HUB0)
This time, we don't see the IRQ issues posted. So ACPI managed to eliminate that particular configuration problem.

I don't see anything else startling in your new dmesg. Poking around in misc@ archives, I can't find anything similar to this ACPI message, nor do I see any problems reported with the MCP73 motherboard.

There are tools for diagnostics, such as acpidump, where the only people who can read the output are ACPI developers. You may want to post to misc@.

One other thought is to try a -current kernel. You won't need to install. Obtain the bsd kernel from a mirror that keeps snapshots, boot it with -cs. This will bring up the UKC prompt after the kernel loads, so you can disable APM, and then it will enter single-user mode after configuration completes, so you need not worry about userland out-of-sync issues.

I suggest -current only because there's been recent changes to ACPI for certain chipsets in the last couple of months.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th February 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarity