View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
HUTCHY

Thanks for pointing those things out about PortManager etc as it can be hard to pick up on those types of things until you properly understand & work out the differences between pkg managers.
I actually deliberatly typed in those commands hoping someone might point out anything noticable.
I actually would always start off using "portupgrade" for upgrading pkgs etc first & then when an error forced portupgrade to stop I would turn to one of the other pkg managers like "portmaster & portmanager" to see if they fix the error because they do things differently & alot of the times they saved the day , but this time neither fully got me through all the upgrades but did help .

BSD is the longest I have had any Desktop stay on my PC while constantly keeping my system up to date & I dont want to lose it so I will hopefully upgrade my Kernel properly when I do give it ago.
I actually thought BSD-unix would break the quickest of all the Linux-Unix distro's I have tried but has been nothing but the greatest Joy & success over the few years using Computers & Linux-Unix.
The other problem with one of the errors is it says
"avahi-libdns-0.6.22_1 /net/avahi-libdns marked IGNORE reason: conflicts with another installed port" But doesnt seem to explain whick pkg it conflicks with- & as I explained above-you cant always delete a pkg as it wont let you because of dependencies etc.

& Also

error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign"
*** Error code 1
which is what originally I think caused me to think I needed to upgrade Kernel.
AnyWay