View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Okay, your use of "rsdesktop" threw me for a loop, as rdesktop is only used for connecting to Windows stations, and works really well in conjunction with "ssh -L".
Sorry. Until last night, I really thought rdesktop worked for logging into Linux/Unix boxes. In retrospect, I can see that I've only used rdesktop for logging into Windows servers and hosts and VNC once or twice with Ubuntu. And I made a faulty assumption.

Quote:
Two options, depending on how much of the Slackware desktop screen you want to see:
1. ssh -X to the Slackware box. Then run X11 programs from the command-line, and they'll appear on your local screen (laptop). However, as the apps are actually running on the Slackware box, they will only have access to the files on the Slackware box.
I've gotten this far. It works for most of what I need. I can always use scp or something similar to upload and download files as needed -- it's just an extra step.

Quote:
2. Install and configure x11vnc on the Slackware box. Use that as the main X server. Then use ssh -X to the Slackware box. Run "vncviewer localhost" and your Slackware desktop will appear on your laptop. However, again, as the apps are running on the desktop, you can only access files on the desktop. (This is the setup we use in our schools, so that teachers/IT staff can connect to any station for troubleshooting and monitoring.)
I don't think I need a full fledge desktop in this scenario. I did, however, make a half-hearted attempt to configure TightVNC last night -- without success (not that I'm surprised given my lack of effort in this regard).

Quote:
AFAIK, none of the Unix VNC clients/servers support file transfers, sound redirection, or print redirection.
I'm not sure what I'll do with printing. Setting up printing always seems to be last on my list.

For sound, I can listen to mp3 files from the remote host locally. If I really wanted to, I could setup some sort of streaming audio server, too. But, that's not what I'm looking for.

Here is the scenario: I ssh -X into the desktop. I open up xine on the desktop to view a video displayed on the laptop (file/disc is stored on desktop). The video comes through, but the sound doesn't. That video makes it and sound doesn't seem illogical to me, but it is the situation. I can't figure how or even if I can get the sound to make the journey?

Two more questions:

1) If I ssh -X into the desktop and open up firefox and go to a secure site, will that be as secure as if I browsed from the desktop without the ssh connection (as if I'm sitting there)? I think I know the answer, but I want to verify.

2) Some mentioned on a site I was looking at that they update (I think he said with cron) a website every 30 minutes with the current IP address. How could I do that with a cron job (or something comparable) so that the IP address of the DSL modem will update a webpage so that I can know the address to ssh to no matter where I am?
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)