View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator View Post
To recreate the problem, it seems you just need ...my Internet box ....
Only you know what that is. No one here can look over your shoulder and see it.

We here can only work from information you provide. These are the things I know about your problem:
  • You're running OpenBSD/amd64. Eventually, you disclosed you were running 5.4-stable through packaging provided by M:Tier, a third party service.
  • You are using the re(4) driver, which works with half a dozen different Realtek chipsets.
  • Your system uses an RFC 1918 address.
  • Your problem occurs whenever your local network is physically connected, whether or not you assign a static address or use dhclient.
  • No network I/O errors are reported through netstat, and whatever PHY is being used is using 100BaseTX full-duplex.
  • Your performance problem is not an abundance of processes waiting for resource, your vmstat output shows only one process waiting.
  • You have an unrelated memory conflict reported by the pci(4) driver. These messages have been discussed on this forum before, and I do not consider this to be to be an issue.
  • Your problem began yesterday or the day before, and no changes were made prior to its onset, which would tend to indicate a hardware problem rather than a software problem. However, you are running a kernel which includes a patch committed on Friday, so it is possible that your "no changes" comment was made without considering a revised OS to be a change. This indication of a hardware problem may be misleading.
Quote:
In fact I found similar threads on OpenBSD 5.4 on the misc mailing list :
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:38:49 +0100
Subject: Problems receiving IP with dhclient
That problem report is specific to dhclient. You have stated that your problem occurs whether you use dhclient or assign a static address.

Last edited by jggimi; 11th November 2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: clarity