Thread: help needed
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2010
New User

Default help needed

Thanks for the help. I am slowly progressing. # export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/packages/i386/ worked for me, and when entering # echo $PKG_PATH, the exact string was displayed but, for whatever reason, not always. I also noticed that the PKG_PATH did not carry over when you shut the power off. When I entered pkg_add Mozilla* and Firefox* though, they were not loaded saying something like "unable to resolve". Also, when these files are loaded there has got to be something done in way of configuration. They do not just start functioning automatically, do they? When I browsed a mirror site in Ubuntu, the instructions said connect to the site and go into the directory pub/OpenBSD/4.6/ and this is a list of files you will see. I could not get into that directory let alone download a file. Following are a few more questions I need answers to. I often see read the README file, but I still do not know how to display a README file. When I do not get any results from a command, I see ksh: before the reason for failure. Does this mean I have to be in the korn shell to use that command? My immediate goal is to install a window manager, a desktop, and a browser so that BSD can be functional for me while I learn the intricacies of the OpenBSD shell way of life. Recently I downloaded the Jiggmi OpenBSD live cd and when I booted it the result was the same as OpenBSD on my hard drive. Although the cd was named Firefox only fvwm was displayed when I entered startx. Booting up a linux live cd gives you a Mozilla desktop and a Firefox browser. Last but certainly not least is a security question when it comes to live cds. When making a financial transaction wouldn't the most secure way be by using a live cd since only ram is used? Thanks again.