View Single Post
Old 9th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I personally see little reason why a C Compiler should be capable of compiling C++ code, unless the C++ code restricts itself to valid C code or it is specifically advertised as a 'C/C++ Compiler'. (I once made the inverse of that, before I said F' MSVC++ for C). Would you use gcc instead of g++ to compile Qt?

C and C++ are related languages, but they are different languages. If the same compiler did both, C++ would probably boat it like a truck horse at an all you can eat anyway.

Footnote: Whatever the opinions of some people as to it's meaning, to me the phrase "C/C++" only means "C and C++"
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if every program in kernel and userland on a base *BSD system was written in C. But, what about ports/pkgsrc? Many of those programs are written in C++ or a combo of C/C++. I'm not saying it should be an immediate goal, but eventually it should be able to compile C++ code to be able to boot gcc (and its companion g++) from the base system.

And, if I read their website correctly, it compiles f77 code, which is much different from C than C++.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)