View Single Post
Old 5th January 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
I was wondering about "Absolute OpenBSD", but I'd like something on NetBSD. It seems the project doesn't have that many followers.
AbsoluteBSD is fantastic book!!!
There are essentially 9 books devoted more or less entirely to OpenBSD.
I will count them in order in which you should probably read them.

OpenBSD 4.0: A Crash Course by Jem Matzan. Very mild introduction for a complete nOObs to OpenBSD. Book is not worth of having it and definitely not worth of price.

Secure Architectures with OpenBSD by Brandon Palmer, Jose Nazario.
Do not let the title fool you. This is gentle general introduction into
OpenBSD. If you are new to OpenBSD this is the first book to read.
Covers lots of topics.

The Book of PF - A No-Nonsense Guide to the OpenBSD Firewall by Peter N. M. Hansteen is the most beautiful introductory to intermediate text to P.F.

Absolute OpenBSD by Michael Lucas is intermediate to semi-advanced text on OpenBSD. If you want really to harden your system this is the book to read. The new edition would be welcome Michael if you read this

Building Firewalls with OpenBSD and PF [2nd edition] by Jacek Artymiak is very advanced book on computer security systems geared towards computer security professionals. If you are in charge of security in a bank you probably want to know all tricks from this book. For a normal system administrator Absolute OpenBSD is sufficient.

Mastering FreeBSD and OpenBSD Security by Yanek Korff , Paco Hope , Bruce Potter
Is not really OpenBSD specific book. Lots of things like jails for instance are FreeBSD specific. It cover lots of mish-mash material. If somebody
gives you for free definitely take it but I would not rush to buy this one.

The OpenBSD PF Packet Filter Book by Jeremy C. Reed (Editor). I am not familiar with the book
but according to some reviews I read it is little bit more than PF tutorial from the OpenBSD web-site.

How To Approach OpenBSD With A Few Tips: Simple Tips For OpenBSD
by Quick Easy Guides. I am not familiar with the book but I am guessing that you can not learn much from
40 pages.

Openbsd: Implementing the Secure Unix Platform by Brian Carter. To my knowledge this book
has never been published although advertised on many web-sites. It has the most awesome blowfish on the cover.

Last edited by Oko; 8th January 2009 at 09:08 AM.