View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st January 2013
New User

Default ghostscript segfaulting

I've been researching today what appears to be the same issue.

I'm using OpenBSD 5.2 release, generic bsd.mp, no patches - plus unmodified release versions of cups, ghostscript-a4-gtk, splix and gstoraster.

Everything was very enigmatic until I decided to run the individual parts of the filter pipeline manually (annoyingly the forum rules mean i cant post urls yet) as per aitch tee tee pee dot fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems#Running_filters_by_ hand. You can work out the filter pipeline by studying /usr/local/share/cups/mime/mime.conv as per aitch tee tee pee ess discussions.apple.com/thread/2611692?start=0&tstart=0 and you can work out the rasteriser by studying the PPD file for your printer in /etc/cups/ppd.

For a plain text file the pipeline is texttops | pstops | pstoqpdl.

The first two filters run fine (you can view the intermediate results with gs - remember to set the paper size: -sPAPERSIZE=a4 if that's what you're using).

But calling pstoqpdl causes ghostscript to segfault and core dump. Even more interestingly, so does pstoraster (aliased to gstoraster on the release build) - that's significant because gstoraster is nothing to do with splix.

If you google "gstoraster segfault" you will find many links that make it clear this is a problem with the cups raster driver in older versus of ghostscript.

I note that current has an updated version of gs, but I'm not ready to try that yet.

Good luck MC

PS: the correct way to start and stop cups on a modern OBSD system is to do sudo /etc/rc.d/cupsd start (or stop). That will automatically take are of the ulpt ownership things that need to be done :-)