View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Yes, it's not RAM that's the issue, it's more CPU time. The docs that come with VBox aren't bad, they go through the limitations of NAT. It can get to the LAN, but the LAN can't get to it, at least not without more research than it took me to set up bridged networking. That is, it will have a default NAT address of 10.2.x.x (I think, maybe 10.1.x.x or even 10.0.x.x.) From that machine, on a 192.168.1.0/24 network, I can put in, for example, WinSCP, a GUI scp client for MS systems, and ssh by address to the host. I can reach the Internet. I can access other Windows hosts by IP---hrrm, possibly by name, but I've never tried. At work, I have it set up for bridged networking, and I no longer have any MS boxes on my home LAN. However, it can connect to say, a box running samba, again, I'm not sure if it requires the IP or can do it by name. So, it can get out without problem. However, the other machines on the LAN can't get in.

Again, setting up bridged networking isn't all that difficult, it's just not an out of the box thing at this point. Now that I've written an article about it (linked from the article mentioned above) it's almost trivial, since, like so many things in Unix and Unix like systems, it's not that it's complex, it's just that the documentation that will work is either hard to find or outdated.