View Single Post
Old 21st June 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Did you attempt to use ddb as advised?
No. My suspicions tell me it's a heat problem so I will test to see if that was the problem first before delving into something I don't understand. It is quite hot where it is sitting.

I removed the case side panels, front drive bay panels, changed to a bigger heatsink and fan, changed the video card from an NVidia 32MB 4X AGP to a 1MB PCI S3, removed the floppy drive and CD-ROM drive and disabled all the hardware in the BIOS that isn't being used which is what I should have done from the get go. So now it's sitting up on its shelf again, wide open for air flow now with the very minimum of hardware and services running to serve its function.

Watching this thread and reading others has made me revise my Linux/UNIX experience from a 5/10 to 3/10, maybe even 2. I have soooo much to learn, but I do enjoy playing with this stuff.

The first time I tried out any *NIX OS was back in '95 when I just started getting into computers again. I didn't know the difference between a desktop and server OS so I was trying to use Redhat like I was Windows 3.1 which wasn't working out too well since I couldn't get a GUI loaded, so I gave up on *NIX because my brain was infected with Windows. Damn shame that is because I didn't look at Linux/UNIX again until 2003. Eight years of learning time gone.

My first computer was a VIC20 back in the early 80's as a kid. I actually still have it and hookup it every now and then to play games on it. I had to rewire it for RCA audio and video though. I even bought a floppy drive for it a couple of years ago to transfer my games from cassette tapes to floppies because I was too impatient waiting for anything to load from tapes as you can imagine.

After high school I went into construction so the last computer I touched was in '89, a dual floppy Apple II, before I got a PC in '94. A car accident left me paralyzed from the chest down in '93 so that's what led me back into the computer world.

When I got my computer in '94 a friend set me up and when he turned it on I was completely blown away. I had never heard tell of Windows and didn't know what a hard drive was so I couldn't figure out what was happening and how all this stuff was getting on my screen because there was no boot disk in the floppy drive. I've come a long ways since that day, and still have a ways to go. I'm completely self taught. I have shelves of DOS and Windows books but now Linux and UNIX books are slowly taking over.