#9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
@Broodjegehaktmetmayo

Welcome mate.

About Your backup ...

Use dump/restore if You will restore to UFS pratitions, if you want to transition to ZFS, then stop all services and run tar(1) on whole / there is no need to run it on separate partitions.

Whichever sollution You will chose remember to stop all unneeded services during backup, including syslogd/moused/cron/...

If I would be You, I would backup all needed configuration files (ls -ltr or find and then sort by modify date can be helpful in searching for them).

The do a clean install on ZFS, restore configuration, add needed packages and so.
Thanks Vermaden

As to your 'if I were you': yes, that seems sensible, but I am too scared to trie it (). Getting this desktop where it is right now has taken a lot of trial and error and frustration, and starting from scratch on is something I would do if I had a one month holiday.

So I was thinking, as I have read how great ZFS is, IF I could simple use restore to restore to a ZFS file system, thereby having all the necessary ports, packages, configuration, tweaks etc still in place (the massive previous work to get to this desktop in the first place) then I could try it.

I see you say this is possible, yet you also say 'use the other method'. I think I will postpone it until I have more guts