Thread: SMILE
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2008
Port Guard

Hello Lumiwa,

I also have no luck with smile and mandvd. But I have found a way to make a slideshow using dvd-slideshow. Can't get any sound though, but nice transitions and good quality. The method is ugly, but works:

1. Go to the directory where you have the slides.
2. Run dir2slideshow. This generates an input file for dvd-slideshow. (yourtitle.txt)
3. Edit the file from point 2 to get the slide durations and transitions you want.
4. Run dvd-slideshow:
Code:
dvd-slideshow -nocleanup yourtitle.txt
5. The script will crash, but the video (video.mpg, without sound) is kept when you use the nocleanup option. It is located in a subdirectory with a name like
dvd-slideshow_temp_xxxx.

As far as I have researched, this problem seems to come from bad handling of sound tracks in sox. (Or bad input to sox in dvd-slideshow?) Therefore a sound file is never generated, and that is why ffmpeg complains. Seems like dvd-slideshow tries (and fails) to make a "silence sound file" if we don't specify a sound file. On the other hand it doesn't work when you give it a sound file either. I have tried both mp3 and wav-file with absolutely no success.

Maybe someone with more expertise regarding sox & Co can help here? (Personally I had not heard about it before I started to look into this problem.)

Last edited by sverreh; 30th September 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo