View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
But that raises the question of whether the 128MB drive is then bad. It is able to be mounted on my other computers running Slackware and Windows and on the Windows machines at the University.
You may have jumped to the wrong conclusion, & I can only assume that you are finding this USB drive "bad" on a NetBSD system.

Different operating systems identify USB devices differently. It is common that the *BSD's look for known signatures, & code is auto-generated to handle these specific signatures. WRT NetBSD, the following appears to be the top-level abstraction of known devices:

http://opengrok.netbsd.org/source/xr...ev/usb/usbdevs

It may be worth your time to poke about the other files in this directory to see how other consumer USB devices are handled.

The point here is that it is entire possible that a fully functional device may be correctly identified in one operating system but not by another.
Quote:
But, this drive is no spring chicken - and I have corrupted the data on it more than once. Is there a way for me to definitively test this thing?
This might be evidence indicating that the device is nearly its end. I am not familiar with any means in which these solid-state memory devices can be tested, but given that the price has dropped so low (I see 8GB flash drives on Amazon for ~$20US...), how much effort is this drive worth?