View Single Post
Old 11th July 2008
OFM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Well, clearly it's a mater of preference then... for example, I don't like FUSE or /proc.
I'm glad we agree on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
And you're wrong, UNIX has always had "devices" to be represented as files.. process information should be obtained via a system call.
I'm guessing what you meant to say was that process information has been traditionally obtained via a system call. Is that correct? In any case, saying something is the way it is and saying what something should be are two different things. In essence by saying this you've contradicted your above statement, since by saying process info should be obtained via a system call you're leaving no room for others' preferences. What if someone created a Unix fork that had only the /proc filesystem and no system calls to get process information and prefers it be that way? Would you leave them alone, saying it's their preference and the preference of its users, or would you chastise them because they're not doing what you think they should do?

And yes, I made a mistake in saying that all information on the system was represented as files. That's true of devices, but not of processes until /proc came along.