View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011
Arp Constable

If it runs XMonad and gives me a decent terminal and system tray, I'm happy :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Actually Qt libraries are probably the best peace of C++ code ever written. GUI which uses Qt looks definitely much nicer than Gtk at least nicer than Gtk3 and Gtk2 . KDE team in particular is very professional. They make genuine effort to be OS independent. KDE in my experience is more stable than Gnome or even Xfce. Bloat? Who cares? People who use such environments do not care about the bloat. With exception of Gtk1, Gtk is as bloated if not even more than Qt4 for example. So PC-BSD team decision to use KDE seems after all these years very logical to me. KDE can be customized to look as anything including classical Ubuntu Gnome look. For Windows users default KDE look feels probably very natural. LXDE was born as a quick dirty hack from Xfce. I do not know at this point if they have anything serious.

By the way. My favorite GUI application which I do NOT use is K3b. The only GUI application unless you count things like sane-frontends, Xfig or web-browser that I really use is Rox-filer. The major reason is thumbnail viewer.
Qt is a lot nicer than native development in GTK+ with C, although at least under GTK 2.x the C++ bindings are not to bad if you don't mind GTK+'s ways of doing stuff. GTK3 seems to be a great idea not that I want to know how that impacts portability, nor the probability of being able to do what I can with Qt4 (cross platform and languages) before GTK4.

It's worth pointing out though that Qt is abandoning just about everything but Tier 1 as it used to be: Linux, Windows, and OS X. But we are getting Weyland support eventually and I bet it will be easier to maintain ports of Qt/X11 on *BSD then the GNOME development stack.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.